February 29, 2012

Mexican Style Stuffed Peppers


Just had the Facebook discussion with my son....he's 13 and so far we have not allowed him to have a Facebook page.  He has been pleading with us lately to let him have one - you know the argument "But ALL my friends have one!  I'm the ONLY ONE who is not on Facebook.  Don't you want me to have a social life??"  Oh yeah, he's pulling out all the stops and I will admit he does get me to re-think where I stand on the issue from time to time.  However, in the end I keep going back to the same line of thinking that I always have - I don't think teenagers and Facebook are a good mix.  I have seen a few teenage girls with Facebook who for the most part write really inappropriate things, and we've all seen on the news how Facebook can be just another avenue for bullying, etc.  I just don't want him to get involved with all the drama that a lot of young people tend to post about on Facebook.  So, I'm thinking 16 for Facebook.  What do all you mothers out there think?  Am I super mean or what???

OK, on to stuffed peppers.  One of my husbands favorite meals from his childhood is stuffed peppers - the regular ones, with hamburg, rice and tomato sauce.  While those are OK, it's never been something I've really had a desire to make.  Besides, I'm sure mine would never come even close to being as good as my mother-in law's (love you Wanda!!).  Then a few years ago my oldest step-son had us over for dinner and he served these Mexican style stuffed peppers.  I loved them - what a great idea!  The Mexican flavors made it way more interesting to eat, it was filling and without the rice they were even low-carb.  This recipe is a keeper in my book!  Sorry hun, maybe someday I'll feel up to the challenge of making your mom's stuffed peppers :)

Mexican Style Stuffed Peppers

1lb ground beef
1 clove garlic
4 green onions chopped
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 jalapeno, chopped
¾ cup tomato sauce
½ cup corn
½ cup bread crumbs
4-6 large bell peppers
1 large tomato

Cut off tops of peppers and place in pot of boiling water with salt.  Cover and let boil for 5 minutes, then remove from water.  In a skillet sauté the beef, garlic, onion, chili powder, jalapenos and green onions.  Drain off the grease and add the tomato, corn, tomato sauce and the bread crumbs.  Simmer for 5 minutes.  Stuff the peppers with meat mixture and sprinkle with cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese and bake covered for 45 minutes at 350.  Uncover for the last 10 minutes. 

5 comments:

  1. Yumm! I've made stuffed peppers with ground beef before - but I love the Mexican twist you have going on here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment - I hope you give it a try, and if you do let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow looks delicious and yum!! Got to know your blog from recipenewz.com loved your blog'd clean design and this recipe too..Btw i don't think you are mean to your son, I would always recommend facebook only for people above 30 (so even I don't use them) I sound so mean now right?? Following your lovely space now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you comments! Hope you are enjoying the blog & recipes :)

      Delete
  4. plus d'informations ici Vérifiez ceci lien du site Dolabuy Gucci vous pouvez les essayer sacs réplique gucci

    ReplyDelete