March 19, 2012

Rice Krispy Treats with a Twist


Pin It
This weekend we had our two granddaughters stay overnight.  Food wise, this can be a challenge as the oldest one is a pretty picky eater.  I don't want to make it stressful for her (or us) by cooking things she doesn't like, so trying to come up with something to eat other than spaghetti, chicken nuggets, grilled cheese or pizza can be a challenge!  However, as usual, she was an angel and ate what we gave her (even if it wasn't what she was used to). 

I know she loves my chocolate chip cookies, but I wanted to try something different this time so I took a chance and chose to make these rice krispy treats that have been a favorite of mine since childhood.  My Aunt Judy in Maine made these for me when I was a kid every time I went to visit. I loved them, and they love to tease me about how I ate almost the whole batch by myself on one of my visits - that's how good they are!  These are not your average rice krispy treats.  These are peanut butter rice krispy treats with a chocolate and butterscotch topping.  They are yummy....and very addictive.  Kids and adults will not be able to keep out of them.  Luckily it was a hit this weekend as well.  She even asked if she could take some home with her :)



Aunt Judy's Rice Krispy Treats

1 cup Karo syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup peanut butter
6 cups rice krispies
6 oz butterscotch morsels (sometimes I use more butterscotch than chocolate)
6 oz semi sweet chocolate morsels

Bring the Karo syrup and the sugar to a boil in a large pot, until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter. Next, add the rice krispies and stir until well combined. Butter a 13x9 baking dish and press the mixture into pan. Melt the butterscotch and chocolate chips in a double boiler. Once it's melted and well combined, spread over rice krispy mixture. Let them firm up before serving. ENJOY and watch them disappear!

No comments:

Post a Comment