April 5, 2012

Cabbage with Kielbasa & Beans


In my quest to try a new recipe every week I came across this one for sweet and sour cabbage with kielbasa and beans.  Sounded good to me - my husband loves cabbage and it's a one dish meal, which I love.  Cabbage is so underrated....why do we wait for St. Patty's day to have it??  I know people think it's smelly, but when you cook it down it becomes so sweet and yummy.  I remember the first time I cooked cabbage, at my husband's request.  I was pleasantly surprised at what a wonderful flavor it takes on.....I had no idea it would taste so good!  As an added plus - it's good for you! 

Thank you to anediblemosaic.com for this wonderful recipe.  My family and I really liked and I will be making this again - this one is a keeper!

Cabbage with Kielbasa & Beans

2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 lb pre-cooked lean turkey sausage (such as kielbasa), sliced
1 lb cabbage, cored and sliced into thin shreds (about 6 cups)
2 small onions, thinly sliced
6 tablespoons organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar, lightly packed
2 tablespoons course ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 bay leaves
1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained

Heat the butter and oil in a lidded 5-quart pot over medium-high heat; add the sausage and cook until browned, about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Transfer the sausage to a bowl and set aside.  Add the cabbage, onion, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, salt, black pepper, and bay leaves to the pot and cook until the cabbage starts to soften (about 5 minutes), then turn the heat down to low, cover the pot, and cook until tender (about 30 to 40 minutes), stirring occasionally.  Stir in the sausage and beans, and cook a couple minutes to warm.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

3 comments:

  1. You're so right. Cabbage should not be limited to just one day out of the year. I'll be sure to make this dish sometime soon - it looks amazing and chockfull of fun goodies. Plus kielbasa is one of my favorite sausages. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something more satisfying about cabbage than has any right to be there. I think there's a hint of umami in there.

    ReplyDelete


  3. I want to tell the world about a great man called Dr. Robinson buckler cured my husband and I from Herpes simplex with herbal medicine. My husband and I have was suffering from Herpes simplex for the past four (4) years. We have tried so many solutions with no result. One fateful day while browsing through the internet I saw a testimony of a client who got cured from herpes by Dr. Robinson buckler through herbal medicine so I decided to give a try. A try that changed our life for good. I contacted Dr. Robinson buckler and he sent some herbal medicine to us, which we took for 14 days. It was a great surprise when we went for a test and the test result came out negative., Dr. Robinson buckler brought joy into my family again. His result is 100% guaranteed. certainly the best online. YESS! SO.MUCH.YES. I love this, it’s exactly what i prayed for!.. it’s unbelievable! ....Thank you!! Very well!.. You contact him on his email. [Robinson.buckler@yahoo.com].....

    ReplyDelete