April 17, 2012

Oatmeal Cookies


Finding what I think is the perfect oatmeal raisin cookie recipe has been a challenge for me over the years.  I think it's because there is a little local sandwich shop that serves all their sandwiches with a cookie, and their oatmeal raisin cookies are soooooo good.  It's a dense, chewy cookie with what seems to me to be ground oats because the oats are barley noticeable.  So, for years I have been trying to replicate that cookie and I still have not quite figured out the right combination of ingredients!   

Oatmeal raisin cookies are my husband's favorite, so the other day I decided to give a new variation of ingredients a try...however, almost halfway through making them I realized I didn't have any  raisins- UGH!  Oh well, I guess plain oatmeal cookies would have to do.  In the end it worked out just fine because both my husband and son said they thought these cookies were really good - go figure!  I thought the fact that my son liked them was interesting because oatmeal cookies are not his favorite, so I quickly decided this recipe is a keeper.  While I agree that these cookies are quite tasty, my quest to replicate that oatmeal raisin cookie will continue......



Oatmeal Cookies

1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup shortening
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1 cup plain flour
1 1/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt


Preheat the oven to 350 and spray your cookie sheets with cooking spray.  In a blender or food processor, grind up the oats to your desired consistency (I like to have a little oats still visible) and place in a bowl.  To the oats add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and set aside. 

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and both sugars until light and creamy. Add the egg and vanilla, and mix to combine.  On a low speed, add the flour and oatmeal mixture and stir just to combine.

Drop large tablespoons of dough onto the cookie trays. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment