April 3, 2012

Suzie Q Cupcakes



It has been almost a year since my husband landed himself in the hospital with a brain aneurism.  While that was one of the most difficult and stressful situations I've gone through, we are VERY lucky to have him still with us today as if nothing ever happened.  Did you know that only 1/3 of the people who have a brain aneurism actually make it to the hospital in time to save their lives and only 1/3 of those people leave the hospital with no lasting complications?  My husband is very lucky indeed.....


Today he goes in for an angiogram to make sure everything still looks good up there.  He had one 6 months ago and everything was fine, so we are hoping for the same results today.  Since one of my husband's favorite desserts is chocolate cake, I decided to make these cupcakes to celebrate almost a year of good health for him.  

I call these "Suzie Q Cupcakes" because that is exactly what they remind me of.  I'm actually not a big fan of chocolate (I know, shocking right??) but Suzie Q's were one of my favorite treats when I was a kid!  There's just something about that filling with that rich chocolate cake......yummy.   You need to make these......run, no walk (I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself) and make these immediately! 

Suzie Q Cupcakes



For the Cake:
2 & 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda

1 tablespoon baking powder
1 & 1/4 cups cocoa powder, sifted
1 teaspoon salt

1 cup unsalted butter at room temp
2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 large egg yolk

1 tsp vanilla
2 cups ice water


Frosting:
5 cups confectioner’s sugar
scant 1/2 cup hot/boiling water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened

1 cup shortening

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

Cake:  In the bowl of an electric mixer add the sugar and butter and mix until well blended. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, then add the yolk and the vanilla and mix until combined.  Add the cocoa and beat until well blended. In a separate bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions alternatively with the ice water, beginning and ending with the flour mix and beating until just blended and smooth after each addition. Spray your cupcake tins with cooking spray and divide the batter evenly.  This will make 24-30 cupcakes, depending on how much you fill them.

Place in oven and bake until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Cool in the pans completely before frosting.

Frosting:   Add the confectioner’s sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer. With the mixer running on low, slowly add the boiling water. Next add the vanilla and salt and mix until combined. Add the butter and shortening and continue to beat on low for about 20 seconds. Turn the mixer to medium-high and let it go for 15 minutes.  It should be very light and fluffy when done.

6 comments:

  1. Hi, these look real good, just want to double check, in that 2/3 cups flour??? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice catch! Good thing someone is paying attention :) I've adjusted the amount on the flour AND the cocoa powder. Thank you! Hope you make them and love them as much as we do!

      Delete
    2. Can you use cupcake liners or will the cake stick to them?

      Delete
    3. Good question, unfortunately I am not sure because I've never used liners when I've made these. There's only one way to find out....

      Delete


  2. I want to tell the world about a great man called Dr. Robinson buckler cured my husband and I from Herpes simplex with herbal medicine. My husband and I have was suffering from Herpes simplex for the past four (4) years. We have tried so many solutions with no result. One fateful day while browsing through the internet I saw a testimony of a client who got cured from herpes by Dr. Robinson buckler through herbal medicine so I decided to give a try. A try that changed our life for good. I contacted Dr. Robinson buckler and he sent some herbal medicine to us, which we took for 14 days. It was a great surprise when we went for a test and the test result came out negative., Dr. Robinson buckler brought joy into my family again. His result is 100% guaranteed. certainly the best online. YESS! SO.MUCH.YES. I love this, it’s exactly what i prayed for!.. it’s unbelievable! ....Thank you!! Very well!.. You contact him on his email. [Robinson.buckler@yahoo.com].....

    ReplyDelete