July 24, 2012

Cheesy Squash Casserole


If you are growing squash in your garden, odds are you're like me and find yourself with an over-abundance of squash.  You are probably scratching your head, and scouring the internet, trying to figure out what to do with all of it!

Well, look no further, because this recipe is down right delicious.  It takes a large amount of squash just to make an 8 x 11 dish of it, so this recipe fits the bill for using up the squash.  This is the first time I've made this casserole, and unfortunately my son is in Maine so I am not sure if he'll like this yet.  But given that our plants have LOTS of flowers on them still, I have no doubt he will be trying this very soon.  I think he'll like it though....when trying to get kids to eat vegetables, cook them in cheese and they almost always like it!  


I got this recipe off the Food Network website - it's a Paula Deen recipe.  While I am sure the original recipe is to die for, I thought it was a little heavy on the cheese and sour cream.  So, I decided to slim it down a little so we could truly enjoy / taste the squash!  My husband and I LOVED this casserole, and we both had big helpings of seconds......in fact we ate 1/2 of the casserole, just the two of us, in one sitting.  When we reheated it a couple of days later, it seemed even better!  I'm sure I will be making this at least two more times in the next month...if not more.  I actually have too much yellow squash AND zucchini, so I used both in my casserole.  Definitely a recipe I will cherish forever ♥

      Cheesy Squash Casserole

olive oil
6-7 medium squash
1 large onion, sliced
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tbsp butter
4 tbsp seasoned breadcrumbs
Salt & pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350 and grease an 8 x 11 casserole dish.  In a skillet over medium heat, drizzle olive oil to cover bottom of pan. Add the onions & squash and saute until tender, stirring frequently (for about 15 minutes). While cooking, season with some salt and pepper.

Drain squash & onions in a colander. Press down with a large spoon or back of spatula to get as much juice/water out as possible. Transfer the squash & onions to a large bowl, and  add both cheeses, sour cream, and salt & pepper. Stir well to combine, then pour into casserole dish.  

Melt butter in a small bowl and add the breadcrumbs, stirring until all the breadcrumbs are moistened with the butter, then sprinkle all over top of casserole.  Bake (uncovered) for 20-30 minutes, or until edges of casserole are bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment