August 5, 2012

Zucchini Cakes


Boy is it hot outside!  The boys are in NY today working on the hunting camp, and since I was sick all last week I have enjoyed my alone time just kicking back and relaxing.  Well, by "relaxing" I mean doing the laundry, cleaning, cooking, etc.  You know how it is....but I did get to spend some time trying to figure out how I want to redo my bedroom.  Eight years is way too long to be starring at the same paint color, so I figure it's time for a change.  Besides, I just found out that my husband has always hated the color, so now I have the perfect reason to redo the room!

Anyway, If you have a garden and if you planted zucchini, you are probably like me and are up to your neck with it!  This year our garden has acted like someone slipped it some steroids....it has produced a crop of vegetables waaayyyy above our expectations!  I am not kidding when I say that the tomato plants are taller than my husband!!  We also have an unbelievable amount of cucumbers this year, so I am excited to try making pickles for the first time. 

Unfortunately, my son isn't as excited about the overabundance of vegetables.  However, lucky for me, he LOVES these zucchini cakes!  This is the only way he actually enjoys eating zucchini, so this year I have a plan.  I am going to make extra batches of these babies and freeze them - that way I can use up some of this zucchini AND we get to enjoy our garden veggies at a later date, so it's a win win situation!

Some people dip zucchini cakes in some kind of dipping sauce, but for us we just don't feel the need for it.  They are simply delicious just the way they are.

Zucchini Cakes (makes 5 cakes)


2 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
1/4 cup onion, minced
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning, or you can use Cajun seasoning
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup flour
1/4 vegetable oil
salt to taste

In a bowl add the shredded zucchini, egg, butter, minced onion, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and seasoning and stir well to combine.

Divide into five equal parts and shape into patties.  Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until hot.  Dredge the patties in flour, then add them to the hot pan.  Cook on each side until golden brown, then remove and place on a wire rackSprinkle with salt and serve immediately.  

*Note - to freeze, allow them to cool completely, then wrap them individually in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag.*

4 comments:

  1. I was all set to make zucchini bread, but now you've got me thinking I'll try these for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know why there are a lot of zucchinis everywhere...Of course, there are also lots of delicious zucchini recipes waiting to be tried and tested and enjoyed. This is delicious!
    Thanks for sharing your pictures with us and our visitors through the YUMGOGGLE Gallery. We greatly appreciate your support. We look forward to more eye-goggling photos =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious! I live at a university, but I have a kitchen, and this definitely seems doable in the small space I have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are also good if you add corn. I like to use fresh or frozen corn... Also I squeeze the zucchini so the mixture is not quite so wet.

    ReplyDelete