September 24, 2012

Pumpkin Coffee Cake


We realized today that we really missed the whole apple picking thing.  So, we decided to swing by a local apple picking farm and just buy a bag of apples.  As it turned out it was their last day open for picking apples, and people were saying you needed a ladder because there were none left on the trees within reach. Even though I was disappointed we didn't get to pick our own, I thought it wouldn't matter to my son - I figured at 14 he was probably over the whole apple picking thing.  However, when I told him we kinda missed the window of opportunity for apple picking and so we were just gonna buy a bag of apples he was shocked, disgusted & even a little upset!  Turns out tradition does matter to him - so cute!!!!

Anyway, this weekend I pulled out an old church cookbook that I bought at a church yard sale years ago.  I was looking for a recipe I haven't made in forever - pumpkin coffee cake.  Gotta love those church cookbooks - you can really find some interesting and delicious, yet forgotten recipes in them.  While I normally prefer to make things from scratch, this recipe calls for a boxed cake mix.  It's so good though, that in the end you won't even think twice about using it.  This stuff is seriously delicious....dangerously delicious.  I've had a really hard time staying out of the pan.  Oh well, I guess I'll just have to do extra long workouts this week!



Pumpkin Coffee Cake

1 box of yellow cake mix
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
1, 15oz can pumpkin puree
1/3 cup water
3 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves

Preheat oven to 350, and spray a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray.  In a large bowl, whisk together the water, pumpkin, eggs, vanilla and the spices.  Add the cake mix and baking soda, and whisk until just combined then pour into the baking dish.  In a small bowl mix together with a fork the flour, brown sugar and melted butter until crumbly.  Spread topping evenly over the batter, then sprinkle the nuts on top.  Bake for 30 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.  Remove from oven and poke holes all over the top of cake with a toothpick.  Pour glaze over warm cake.

Glaze:  Combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/4 cup of half & half  in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer stirring constantly, and making sure the sugar is dissolved.  Remove from heat and pour evenly over the top of the warm cake. 

2 comments:

  1. What a delicious cake! I can see myself not being able to put the pan away too :) Love coffee cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake is in the oven right now!

    ReplyDelete