October 4, 2012

Apple Crisp


Apple crisp.....such an all-American classic dessert.  Who doesn't love apple crisp?  I've never met anyone (actually, maybe one person) who doesn't love it.  It's definitely a favorite in our house.  I've probably made it a thousand times, and each time I feel like it gets better and better.   I mean, just look at this apple yumminess!  Nothing screams fall more than apple crisp.....well, except maybe apple pie.

My husband and I both prefer a thick, crunchy oat topping and I think I have finally perfected it.  We both also like the apples to be well done, if not slightly mushy.  I personally like putting a few cranberries in it, but I am alone on that one.  The boys both said they don't like it with cranberries, but yet they have no problem eating it!  This time when my husband finished his first bowl, he said it was delicious.  I said "Even with the cranberries?" to which he responded that he didn't even notice them.  Enough said!


Little B's Favorite Apple Crisp

1 stick of butter, room temp is fine & works better
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
7 medium apples, cored & peeled & sliced
1/4 cup apple cider
pinch of nutmeg, preferably freshly grated
1/4 cup cranberries, if using dried cranberries soak them in apple cider to cover for 1-2 hrs

Preheat oven to 350 and spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.  In a medium bowl stir together the brown sugar, flour, oatmeal, cinnamon and salt.  Add the butter and with a fork, or using your fingers, work the butter into the flour mixture until it forms crumbs (about the size of peas, a little larger is fine). 

Place the sliced apples in your baking dish, along with the drained cranberries, then add a dash of nutmeg.  Sprinkle the 1/4 cup of apple cider evenly over top of the apples, then do the same with the topping.  Place in oven and cook for about 45 minutes, or until your apples reach your desired doneness (is that a word?).  If you like your apples to be a little more firm, I'd cook it for about 30 minutes. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, i feel that i saw you visited my website thus i came
    to return the favor?.I am trying to to find issues to
    improve my web site!I guess its adequate to make use of some of your ideas!!


    Also visit my blog post ... Louis Vuitton Cheap

    ReplyDelete