February 13, 2013

Peach Pancakes


I got the new Smitten Kitchen cookbook for Christmas this year.  I've heard of the blog, but haven't really seen any of her recipes so I was looking forward to browsing through the cookbook.  There are a few that caught my eye, but unfortunately I don't see my "meat & potatoes" family members being too keen on much from the book.  However, when the hubby is out of town I will probably attempt a few to try for myself.

However, after reading the story before the sour cream peach pancake recipe, I decided I had to try it out.  Her friends think she's a pancake snob, and I can totally understand where she's coming from in that regard!  So I knew I needed to try the recipe to see if her pancakes would make myself and my family a fan.  I was a little worried that they would be too heavy, and since it's not peach season and I was going to use sliced canned peaches (I know she would be horrified at that) I was also worried it wouldn't work out so good. 

I am happy to report that all three of us liked these pancakes.  They were dense and thick, but it actually seemed like the perfect match for the peaches.  I know without a doubt this recipe would be even better with fresh ripe peaches, however using canned peaches still made for delicious pancakes.  Now I am even more eager to see how I like some of her other recipes!  Thank you Smitten Kitchen ☺

 
Peach Pancakes (adapted from the Smitten Kitchen cookbook)

1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 peach, cut into thin slices (or 16 thin slices from a can of peaches)
Butter

In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, yogurt, egg, vanilla & sugar.  In another small bowl, whisk together the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, flour, baking powder and baking soda.  Add the dry ingredients to the bowl of the wet ingredients and stir gently until just combined.

Heat your skillet on medium heat and melt about a tablespoon of butter.  Pour a 1/4 cup of the batter onto the bottom of the skillet, and repeat making sure to leave about 2 inches between each pancake. Place two peach slices on top of each pancake, and flip each one once it starts to look dry and bubbles form on top.  You will have to flip them fast because the peaches have a tendency to slip off.  Cook until golden brown and cooked through.  Serve with Vermont maple syrup ☺  Makes 8 pancakes.

4 comments:

  1. Hi! Love your blog. I have been following it by email for a few months now. I pin on Pinterest and feel you should know that often your pictures pin too small for me to use. So I have to skip pinning them. Bigger pins in portrait style would solve the problem and you would get much more traffic to your blog. A good pin and recipe can reach over 100,000 people really easy.
    Today's pics are just too small for me to pin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for letting me know that. I'm not sure why it would do that, but I'll try to figure it out. Thanks for visiting & commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pancakes, especially when they look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you give them a try! Thanks for visiting & commenting :)

      Delete