March 7, 2013

Frozen Banana Bites


OK people, listen up.  My son, who is 14 (in case you're new here), LOVED these things.  I seriously mean LOVED these things...I believe his exact words were "I love these so much I want to marry them!  You must keep a container of these in the freezer at all times for the rest of my life!"  Quite a declaration huh?

These little buggers are quick and easy to make.  The possibilities for coatings are endless, so you can really get creative here.  AND there's fruit in there people...so if you have little ones who you have to pin down just to get fruit in them, try these.  I bet they will like, if not love, them (unless of course they do not like bananas)!  Adults love them too.  I will admit that I keep sneaking one or two when no one is looking.  These will be a delicious refreshing treat in the summer too...can't wait!



Frozen Banana Bites (adapted from Bon Appetit)

1 1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup butterscotch chips
2 tbsp canola oil
Toppings:  I used chopped peanuts & toffee bits
3-4 large bananas, cut into 1/2" thick slices

Combine both types of chips in a medium saucepan, along with the oil, and stir on low heat until melted and smooth.  Remove from heat and cool for about 15 minutes.

Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and spray with cooking spray.  Place your toppings in separate small bowls. Dip your banana slices completely into the chocolate mixture, shake off excess, then drop into the bowl of topping.  Just sprinkle some of the topping over the banana piece to coat (instead of trying to roll it around), then transfer to cookie sheet.  When all the banana pieces are coated, place cookie sheet in freezer for about 3 hrs.  Serve frozen. 

9 comments:

  1. These look so absolutely delicious. I think I could really put a dent in those things! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore making frozen banana treats as well! I never thought to coat them in toffee! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow my lovies will literally go Bananas over these! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ladies - they really are super yummy & I am looking forward to eating them on a hot summer day ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh what a great idea, these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting these...I want to try these with some coconut oil in place of the canola. I know my fruity kiddos will just love these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a great substitution - makes it even healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these! Definitely making these soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Understandable. They look wonderful! I will definitely be making these soon. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete