May 3, 2013

Eclair Cake


This week I decided to try a dessert for my "new recipe" of the week.  My husband absolutely LOVES chocolate eclairs, so when I came across this recipe I knew I had to make this for him at some point so I printed it out and filed it away.

He said to me the other day "When are you going to make something I want?"  I thought that was an interesting question, especially because he almost never mentions specific items he'd like to eat.  Whenever I ask him for ideas, or what would he like, nine times out of ten his answer is "I don't know.  Whatever."  Needless to say, the comment stuck in my head.  So, when I thought about trying a new dessert recipe, this one came to mind....for him (see honey, I love you!). 

If you like chocolate eclairs, you will certainly enjoy this dessert.  My husband loved it!  In fact, I think he was solely responsible for eating about 60% of the dish!  It is really easy to throw together if you use all the short-cuts, but I know it would be even better with homemade pudding, whipped cream and chocolate sauce.  I didn't have enough time to make this completely homemade but it was still delicious.  Perfect summer dessert, or to bring to a potluck.  I'm pretty sure my husband will be requesting this again in the future, so this recipe is a keeper. 



Eclair Cake (www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com)

Filling:
1, 8oz package cream cheese, softened
1, 5.1oz box of vanilla instant pudding (feel free to make it from scratch, which is even better)
3 cups milk

Crust:
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
4 eggs

Topping:
1, 8oz container cool whip - you won't need the whole container (feel free to make homemade whipped cream, which would make this even better)
Chocolate syrup (feel free to make homemade chocolate sauce)

Make the pudding by beating the pudding mix together with the milk for 3 minutes.  Cover and put in the fridge until cooled and set.  Whip the softened cream cheese in a medium bowl, then add the pudding once it is set.  Mix together until it's nice and smooth, then place in refrigerator to cool.

Preheat oven to 400 and lightly spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.  To make the crust, melt the butter in water in a medium saucepan and bring it to a boil.  Remove from heat and stir in the flour.  Mix in one egg at a time, being sure each is fully incorporated before adding another one.  The mixture will be very wet, but do your best to spread it onto the bottom of the baking dish, and up the sides as best you can.  Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.  You don't want to overcook the crust so start checking it after about 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and cool completely - resist the urge to push down the bubbles, just leave them be.

Once the cake is completely cooled you can add the filling and then top it with either the cool whip or homemade whipped cream - I just did a thin layer, but use however much you want.  Serve it with a drizzle of chocolate syrup. 

9 comments:

  1. I've made the no bake eclair dessert before. I will definitely have to try this baked version, too. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm, I've not seen the no bake version! Thanks for visiting & commenting ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum looks scrumptious!However we don't have cool whip in Australia so I am guessing you could substitute it with low fat whipped cream?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you can use any whip cream you like. Hope you like it...all the way in Australia! Thanks for commenting ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your pictures and recipes. I'd like to inform you of a great new website www.foodieportal.com. I would like to invite you to come and join us and share your wonderful pictures with us. We are simply foodies and we are not photography snobs, so picture perfection is not important, all we care about is delicious food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This design is incredible! You definitely know how to
    keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my
    own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Wonderful job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
    Too cool!

    Also visit my page; RunClick review

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the helpful info you provide in your articles. I'll bookmark your
    blog and check again here regularly. I am quite certain I'll learn lots of new stuff right here!
    Good luck for the next!

    My website :: knights and dragons cheats

    ReplyDelete