September 6, 2013

Banana Blueberry Bread


Both my husband and son are hunters, so every fall I cook up lots of different types of quick breads in mini loaf pans so they can each take one when they head out to the woods on the days they hunt.  I'm sure they are getting sick of the usual zucchini, cranberry and banana breads, so I was scratching my head trying to think of something different for them.  I have tons of blueberries in my freezer, so I decided to utilize them in some type of bread.  I then spotted the two leftover bananas I had on the counter, and thought maybe the two together would be a good combination.

I've been experimenting with coconut oil lately, so I decided to use that in my bread as well.  You certainly don't have to, but it is healthier for you.  This bread came out exactly as I hoped -yummy!  The perfect amount of banana and blueberry, and the coconut oil made it wonderfully moist.  I think the boys will enjoy it as they sit in the freezing cold woods this fall.  Hopefully it will give them the energy they need to get those deer - my freezer needs to be stocked with some venison ☺



Banana Blueberry Bread (makes 3 mini loaves) 

3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 coconut oil, in liquid form (can use vegetable oil if you prefer)
2 tsp vanilla
2 bananas, mashed
1 cup blueberries
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 325 and spray your loaf pans with cooking spray.  Cream together the coconut oil, sugar, egg and vanilla until creamy.  In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  Take 2 tbsp of the flour mixture and toss it around with the cup of blueberries. Fold the mashed banana and blueberries into the sugar mixture.  Add the rest of the flour mixture and stir until just combined.  Pour into the loaf pans and bake for about 30-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice cake, tasty and full of nutrients, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing.
    I want to try it this weekends.

    ReplyDelete