September 17, 2013

Bourbon Chicken


I haven't done "one new recipe a week" in a long time.  Mostly because things have been crazy busy, so I just haven't had a chance to seek out something new to try.  However, one day this week I had to leave work early to get my car fixed, so I had a little extra time on my hands.  I decided to look at my "saved" recipes folder on Pinterest and came across this one for Bourbon Chicken.  It originally caught my attention because I'd never heard of it, and of course, it sounded yummy.  So Bourbon Chicken it was.

After trying this recipe I still have no idea why it's called Bourbon Chicken because it in no way tastes like bourbon.....and there is no bourbon in it.  To me this is more like a sweet and spicy chicken dish.  We definitely all enjoyed it though.  Very tasty, and best of all - it's quick to throw together, which makes for a great weeknight meal.  I'd definitely make this one again, except next time I'll add some kind of veggie to it I think.



Bourbon Chicken (slightly adapted from www.bigoven.com)

2 boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
Olive oil
Salt & Pepper
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple juice
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp garlic, chopped
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp cornstarch

Coat a large skillet with olive oil and heat on medium-high.  Add the chicken and season with salt & pepper.  Stir and cook until lightly browned, then remove chicken from pan and set aside.  Add remaining ingredients, whisking until blended and dissolved.  Add the chicken back in, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes uncovered.  Serve over rice - this makes about 3 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment