October 15, 2013

Butternut Squash & Spinach Quinoa


I am always on the hunt for vegetarian lunches that are not salads.  I eat salad for lunch most days, but twice a week I like to eat something else.  I am not a vegetarian, however, I only eat meat at dinner.  It's not always easy to find or come up with dishes that have vegetables, protein and is gluten-free!

The other day I had some left over mashed butternut squash, so I knew I wanted to use it to make something for lunch.  After looking around the fridge and contemplating what to make, this is what I came up with.  I have to pat myself on the back for this one because it turned out to be a very delicious and satisfying lunch.  My husband tried it and even he liked it (my meat & potatoes man)!  This one is a keeper for me.




Butternut Squash & Spinach Quinoa (serves about 4)

1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
1 cup cooked & mashed butternut squash (add a tsp butter when mashing)
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 tsp garlic, minced
5 oz fresh spinach

Add the olive oil to a large pan and heat on medium.  Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic, stir and saute one minute.  Add the spinach and cook until wilted down, about 5 minutes.

Add the cooked quinoa and butternut squash to a medium sized bowl and stir well to combine.  Add the onion and spinach mixture and stir well to combine.  Season with salt and pepper to taste. 

2 comments: